Welcome To Hike Kamloops!
Here at Hike Kamloops, we love exploring Kamloops outdoors and trails and we want you to be able to explore them too!
Join us as we explore, document and share our adventures on Kamloops trails. We will be sharing our adventures through this blog, in hopes that you too will be able to go out and experience Kamloops for yourself!
Make sure you check out the hiking blog to see which hikes we’ve been doing most recently!
Also, a big shout out to Doug over at kamloopstrails.net as this website would not be possible if it weren’t for his years of documenting our Kamloops trail systems.
Who We Are
Jordan Fraser – Owner, Content Creator, Photographer
Hi there! My name is Jordan and welcome to Hike Kamloops! This whole blog started out as a university project but has blossomed into much much more! I love the outdoors, whether it’s standing on the edge of a cliff, behind a waterfall, or just taking my dog for a stroll in the park and I want to share that with you and encourage you to get out exploring!
Here’s 10 things about me:
- I am a recent graduate from the Bachelor of Business Administration program at Thompson Rivers University – with a major in Marketing.
- My dream job is to work in the tourism industry helping to share everything that destination has to offer and inspiring people to visit!
- I was born and raised in Kamloops but my love for hiking didn’t explode until I spent a summer working in stunning Waterton Lakes National Park.
- My absolute favourite trail at the moment is the Panorama Loop because it is SO Kamloops with the sagebrush, but it also has spectacular views!
- My partner and I are kitten foster parents for the SPCA. So when we’re not out on the trails, we often are at home playing with kittens!
- I love the sunshine. It keeps me happy!
- I LOVE my partner’s dog. So much so that I joke that if we ever broke up, I’d ask for shared custody of her. (You can see her in almost every blog post!)
- I’ve always had a love for photography and this blog allows me to practice and improve my skills!
- Activities other than hiking that I enjoy are kayaking, swimming, stand-up paddle boarding, camping, and sitting in the sun.
- Yes, my hair is naturally this blonde 😉
Peter Dalley – Contributor, Editor, Map Manager
Hello! Thanks for checking out Hike Kamloops! I kind of got sucked into this project, but that’s absolutely not a bad thing! Hiking is one of the main reasons Jordan and I keep each other around! I love hiking and snowshoeing, and now I get to carry a camera around my neck while I do it! I’m told I make a good tri-pod (“Here Peter, hold it like this and point it over here.”) and am slowly learning how to take a proper picture. When I’m not playing outside, I teach economics and statistics at TRU.
Located at the confluence of the South and North Thompson rivers in BC’s semi-arid grasslands, Kamloops is a hotbed of outdoor activities.
Sandstone canyons, grasslands and evergreen timberlands play host to incredible hiking, mountain biking and camping. Kamloops is also a major golfing destination, with around a dozen courses close by. More than 100 lakes and two major rivers provide great fishing, kayaking, canoeing, rafting and tubing.
In the winter, outdoor activities abound. Do some exploring on snowshoes or cross-country skis; take the kids tubing or tobogganing, or to an outdoor ice rink; or visit nearby Sun Peaks Resort for some downhill action. Want to go faster? Try one of several snowmobiling destinations. For those who’d rather take it slow, there are horse-drawn sleigh rides and tranquil lakes for ice fishing.
Kamloops also takes pride in its vibrant arts community and its First Nations culture, represented in various cultural sites throughout the city, and in theatre and music festivals and events held annually.
Copied from Destination BC.